FLSA Status: Exempt
RailComm is a leader in enabling railroads to operate safely and efficiently with software and hardware based automation systems. Our portfolio of solutions include yard automation, computer-aided dispatching, and predictive monitoring and analytics. All of our solutions are cloud enabled using leading edge secure worldwide cloud infrastructure. Headquartered in Fairport, NY, we deliver solutions, services, and support to freight, passenger, industrial and port based railroads throughout the world.
Joining RailComm’s innovative team translates into continual opportunities to expand on what you can do. Our motivated employees come together with a wide variety of skills and backgrounds to create talented teams of problem-solvers. At RailComm, your potential is unlimited! We are looking for exceptional people to complement our team. If you enjoy a challenging, creative environment, like to learn and have the passion and drive to make a difference, RailComm may be the place for you.
RailComm encourages a collaborative, fun, and entrepreneurial environment. We provide our employees with the opportunities to learn new technologies, improve skills, and take responsibility for their work.
Our employees are our best asset and we offer them a range of benefits including
- 100% RailComm sponsored Dental and Vision Plan
- RailComm funds 80% single plan, 70% family plan for Company sponsored Health Insurance
- FSA spending accounts
- Savings Plan-401K up to 4% Company Match
- $50,000 Life Insurance Policy, 100% Company funded
- Short term and long term Disability Plans
- Paid vacation
- 10 Company paid Holidays
As a Systems Engineer, you will act as the technical lead on projects, interfacing between customers, external partners, and the RailComm team, to develop and ensure fulfillment of technical requirements for projects at an overall systems level.
General Role Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop well-written system and subsystem requirements, highlighting gaps between customer requirements and standard RailComm products
- Create high-level system architecture and design and select major components
- Ensure that the designed system will meet functional, operational, maintenance, logistics, and performance requirements
- Plan and implement the System Test Plan including writing detailed system test plans and procedures against functional, operational and performance requirements
- Influence Technical Specifications prior to tender
- Interface with customer technical personnel with regards to design decisions, rationales, and technical issues
- Act as the customer advocate/surrogate to ensure that the correct system is built and that details are as customer friendly as possible
- Support engineering and production staff when not travelling
- Some travel (domestic and international) to support site surveys and system installation support
- 4 year technical degree required
- Minimum 5 years experience in a similar role
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical and electrical schematics
- Able to travel, both domestic & international, up to 25% of the time
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment in a leadership role, with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Able to make sound decisions and remain focused in high pressure situations
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate technical issues to individuals and audiences with varying degrees of technical aptitude
- Able to interact positively and effectively with customers, partners and suppliers
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills and the ability to work well in a team oriented environment
- Exceptional organizational and thorough documentation skills
- Wide experience and meaningful domain knowledge coupled with an interest in continuous learning
- Overall Strength: Requires occasional lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling of approximately 50 lbs.
- Coordination: Balance required when standing or moving about in an industrial environment.
- Range of Motion: High level of manual dexterity.
- Communication: Voice must transmit information and instruction clearly, whether in person or via electronic equipment. Requires ability to perceive auditory warning signals and sound of moving equipment.
- Visual: Requires good visual acuity, accommodation, field of vision and depth perception to successfully perform duties and for general safety.
- Exposure: Job requires a tolerance to extreme heat, cold and wet conditions.
- Railroad/Transit industry experience
- System engineering experience with control system applications
- RF device and antenna technology, Encryption and security technology, AC and solar power system experience including grounding and noise prevention
- IP Networks, SQL Databases, client/server system architectures, and serial communication protocol
- Requirements gathering, decomposition, and sub-system assignment, including formal documentation and tracing
- Test plan development, including creation of detailed test procedures and formal traceability methods
- Formal Technical Risk Management process management and mitigation
If you are a passionate, self-driven Systems Engineer and eager to move to the next level of your career, apply today!
Qualified candidates: Please submit resume to email@example.com.
RailComm is an equal opportunity employer.